Uninsured motorist claims cover auto accidents where the at-fault drivers are without insurance; the at-fault vehicles are unregistered, stolen or driven without the owners’ permission; or the at-fault drivers left the scene of the accident and cannot be identified.

Under insured motorist claims cover motor vehicle accidents where the at-fault drivers do not have enough auto insurance to cover all the damages they cause in accidents.

New York requires all auto policies to include uninsured motorist coverage at a minimum of $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident.

In order to recover on an uninsured motorist claim, the insurance company needs to determine that there was no insurance coverage for the at-fault driver. When making a claim under your uninsured motorist policy, be sure to provide the insurance company with “proof of physical contact” and evidence that your injuries or property damage arose from the contact. Recovery for an under insured motorist policy varies depending on the amount of coverage a driver has on their policy and the amount of insurance the at-fault driver has. The underinsured policy coverage only begins to pay for damages after the at-fault driver’s policy is exhausted.

If the vehicle you are in is uninsured, and you do not reside in the same household as that person, you may be eligible to make a claim for No-Fault benefits from your own auto insurance policy. If you do not have your own auto insurance in your household, you could be eligible to make a claim for No-Fault benefits from the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation. It is required to show proof of no insurance and proof that you do not reside with someone who has auto insurance.

As a result, drivers need to have sufficient uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage as part of their insurance policies in order to recover compensation after a serious car accident in New York.